Greetings Dear Listener,
Am I the only person that is irritated by the frustrating mess that itunes has become? It was unruly to begin with but the new version has gone completely bat-shit stupid.
It's almost as if Apple said, "Hey, millions of people use this program so let's make the interface as useless as possible." Looks like I'll be downloading from Amazon when I can't locate something on vinyl. Hooray.
This time around, we play our first official track off of the new Bad Religion LP, True North, since its release last week. "Robin Hood In Reverse" seems to be about the Citizens United decision by the United States Supreme Court. That ruling essentially said that any pigfucker with a billion dollars can try to buy elections. We all witnessed how that panned out. Those crazy old white guys damn near cannibalized each other last year. Good for them.
We will be getting into some new Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds, as well. Push The Sky Away comes out in a few weeks. Giddy with anticipation I am. Here's the funniest bit of promotional writing for a record I've read in a long time:
I wanted to write more about this album but the Bad Seeds press person would not approve any of the copy I sent. No problem. I submit this instead: Greetings at you from Bucharest! This record has musics very not old! Firstings for time of a Bad Seeded album of not Mick Harvey! I have kept played it and many goodnesses still happened! Wow to this person! This gonna smile you when it falls out on 02/19/13!
That was from Henry Rollins' LA Weekly column from January 10th, 2013.
If you aim your googler at "cramps all tore up download," you too can have the Cramps track from this episode (and several other Cramps songs) flowing through your ear-goggles. It's free and worth the effort of downloading. I only wish Ivy would have this session officially released so the band could be compensated. I know I'd buy it.
We also get a sample of Bosnian Rainbows. That is the new band featuring Teri Gender-Bender from Le Butcherettes and Omar from At The Drive-In and Mars Volta. I am really liking the music they are making and can't wait for the album.
Again, the internets almost burst into flames of hate when Omar announced the Mars Volta were no longer making music. Mars Volta didn't really do it for me so my main concern over Bosnian Rainbows is what will become of Le Butcherettes. If there was an ass to be kicked, that band kicked it. And how!!!
There was some news involving Black Flag this week. Greg Ginn will be forming a new band under the name of Black Flag. There will be new music and a tour involved. Which seems kind of odd from a guy that slammed what he called "reunion bands" at Coachella last year. Ha, ho.
The more interesting Black Flag development came from Chuck Dukowski. He put together a band called Flag. Chuck's playing bass. Bill Stevenson is playing drums. Stephen Egerton, from the Descendents, is playing guitar. And Keith Morris is on vocals. They will be hitting the festival circuit this summer. This may get me out of the house. There's no word on new music but one can hope.
I've already started putting together the list for Episode 32 and I like where it's going. A good time will be had by all.
Until next time.
Thanks for listening.
Rock over London. Rock on Chicago.
Here's the download link:
Out of Step Music Hour Episode 31
Here's the Playlist:
1. Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds~We No Who U R~Push The Sky Away
2. Bad Religion~Robin Hood In Reverse~True North
3. L7~Mr. Integrity~Bricks Are Heavy
4. Beastie Boys~Make Some Noise~Hot Sauce Committee Part 2
5. The Cramps~What's Behind The Mask~All Tore Up
6. Le Butcherettes~Empty Dimes~Sin Sin Sin
7. At The Drive-In~Alpha Centauri~In/Casino/Out
8. Bosnian Rainbows~Torn Maps
9. Black Sabbath~Supernaut~Vol. 4
10. Dead Ending~Ayn Rand Chicken Sandwich~DEII
11. Betty Blowtorch~I've Been So Mad Lately~Last Call
12. Generation X~Your Generation~Generation X
13. The Replacements~Bastards Of Young~Tim
14. Eddy Current Suppression Ring~Which Way To Go~Primary Colours
15. Adverts~One Chord Wonders (Single Version)~Crossing The Red Sea With The Adverts
16. Allan~Surrogate~About Five Seconds
17. The Ramones~Judy Is A Punk~Ramones
18. Motorhead~Deaf Forever~Orgasmatron
19. Screeching Weasel~Stupid Over You~Boogadaboogadaboogada!
21. Black Flag~Depression~Everything Went Black
22. Jimi Hendrix~(I'm Your) Hoochie Coochie Man~BBC Sessions
23. Korcani Orkestar~Siki, Siki Ba Ba~Borat: Cultural Learnings Of America For Make Benefit Glorious Nation Of Kazakhstan
24. Slayer~Bitter Peace~Diabolus In Musica
25. Grinderman~Bellringer Blues~Grinderman 2