Greetings Dear Listener,
When thinking of music from the 1920's, how is Jay-Z the first person that comes to mind? Fuck Baz Luhrman or however you spell his name. I am certain the world ended in 2012 and no on told us. Shitting all over The Great Gatsby is more proof that we all died and went to whatever you consider your Hell to be. I didn't know that despair and longing could swing across a movie screen in 3-D like they were Spider-Man.
But enough about the bastardization of our culture. Let's celebrate it with 25 tracks of musical wonderment.
Fred Armisen, of Saturday Night Live and Portlandia, has developed a character named Ian Rubbish. The premise of the character is a punk rocker that writes songs about how much he likes Margaret Thatcher. There are four songs posted as a free download on the Ian Rubbish & The Bizzaros website. The songs are really funny and really good. There is a very obvious Clash influence.
Here's the link:
Ian Rubbish & The Bizzaros
There is a new Boris record out and very difficult to track down. Praparat was not released domestically on vinyl or CD and the import prices are insanely high. The few tracks I have heard were brain melting.
The Bosnian Rainbows pre-order is up and running. The record will officially be released on June 25th.
Here's the link to check out the various bundles available:
Bosnian Rainbows Pre-Order
Black Sabbath's "13" is also up for pre-order. There's a deluxe version available from the Black Sabbath website that comes with extra goodies for the Sabbath aficionado.
Here's the link to their website:
Lemuria and Boysetsfire both have new records coming out next month on Bridge Nine. Lemuria has a new single available and the pre-order is imminent. The Boysetsfire pre-order is up and running.
Here's the link to Bridge Nine:
Bridge Nine Records
In bands on tour news:
The Anti-Flag 20th Anniversary shows are underway and they will be stopping in Pittsburgh on May 30th and 31st. Lemuria is one of the opening acts on the 31st so count me as excited.
Flag will be here on June 7th at the worst venue ever.
And the Japandroids are oot 'n' aboot and will be stopping through town on June 16th.
Thanks for listening.
Here's the download link:
Out of Step Music Hour Episode 39
The file is no longer zipped so it should be a friendlier download for your portable lookie/listen distraction device.
Here's the playlist:
1. Modey Lemon~Recycler~Modey Lemon
2. True Widow~Night Witches~A.H.A.T.H.H.A.F.T.C.O.T.E.
3. Ian Rubbish & The Bizzaros~Maggie Thatcher~The Best Of Ian Rubbish
4. I Is Another~Queen Of Swords~I Is Another
5. Bosnian Rainbows~Turtle Neck~Bosnian Rainbows
6. Red Hare~Horace~Nites Of Midnite
7. Slant 6~What Kind Of Monster Are You?~What Kind Of Monster Are You?
8. Black Eyes~Speaking In Tongues~Black Eyes
9. Daria~Dumb It Down~Office Of Future Plans/Daria Split
10. Office Of Future Plans~The English Cloud~Office Of Future Plans/Daria Split
11. Nada Surf~The Plan~High/Low
12. Pissed Jeans~Spent~King Of Jeans
13. Flight Of The Conchords~Sugalumps~I Told You I Was Freaky
14. Japandroids~Wet Hair~Post-Nothing
15. Ramones~I Can't Make It On Time~End Of The Century
16. Tomahawk~Rape This Day~Mit Gas
17. Rival Schools~Paranoid Detectives~Found
18. Mike Doughty~The Huffer & The Cutter~Yes And Also Yes
19. Shallow Gravy~Jacket (Live At Timmy's Birthday Party)~The Jacket EP
20. Black Sabbath~Lord Of This World~Master Of Reality
21. Circle Jerks~I Don't~VI
22. Past Lives~Skull Lender~Strange Symmetry
24. Brian Eno~Cindy Tells Me~Here Come The Warm Jets
25. The Ruts~Something That I Said~Peel Session 14-05-1979