It has been a wonderful week of live music that was seriously needed to cleanse the palette from the rotten eggs laid by Flag and the Japandroids.
Last Thursday, The Evens played an amazing hour of music and they'll be doing it again tomorrow night in Morgantown, WV. They'll be playing at 119 Pleasant St. Down the interstate I will go. To see The Evens twice in a week is an opportunity not to be missed.
Dax Riggs played this past Tuesday. He's playing an acoustic set accompanied by a bass player. He opened the set with Louis Armstrong's What A Wonderful World. I was mistaken to think that song couldn't get any better.
The White Wives have a new live EP available for free download. Here's the link to get to it:
White Wives live at 222 Ormsby
Yesterday, I went to Mind Cure Records. The store has been open for about three years and I only heard of it last week. That's how in the know I am. It's a tiny store specializing in the punk rock and what not. It was very reminiscent of Brave New World/Wicked Discs. To the point where some of the used records came from Brave New World. There were a few that still had the stickers Robbie would write up to draw attention to certain records.
I picked up bootlegs by The Clash and Generation X as well as 12-inch singles from the Beastie Boys, among many other things. I will certainly be bringing some of the new finds to you once I get them digitized.
Mind Cure is also starting a 7-inch subscription series. They'll be producing a single by a local band every month. The A-side is an original by the band and the B-side is a cover of their choice.
The store is in the same building as a coffee shop and a comic book store. It is a big building of awesome and something tells me I will be spending a lot of time there.
Here's the link to the Mind Cure home page for directions and contact info:
The Pixies released a new song this week. They also announced that they have a new bass player for their European tour. Does that mean there will be a new record? I sure hope so.
Here's the video that goes along with Bagboy:
The Bosnian Rainbows album is officially out and the vinyl sounds amazing. They'll be in town on July 20th so get there if you can.
In related news, if you missed the At The Drive-In "Relationship Of Command" Record Store Day reissue, don't fret or spend a ton of money on the Ebays. There will be another pressing available on August 6th.
And Teri Gender Bender did an acoustic session for NPR a while back. Here's the link to that:
Teri Gender Bender NPR Session
High on Fire has released a two volume live record. Spitting Fire Vol.1 and 2 are out now and making my ears hurt. We will get into a track from that next time.
OFF! will be releasing a live album that was recorded at the 9:30 Club. It'll be released by Outer Battery Records in August. There are only going to 1,000 copies pressed and they have sold through their run of them. The Shop Radio Cast website seems to still be taking pre-orders.
If you're looking for a hero this week, try looking up Texas State Senator Wendy Davis. She filibustered for thirteen hours to avoid the passing of a bill that would have shut down the majority of the Planned Parenthood facilities in her state. There are a multitude of reasons that her bravery should be admired. The entire story surrounding her actions (and the actions of those who tried to silence her) reads like a script written by Aaron Sorkin.
Until next time.
Rock over London, Rock on Chicago.
Here's the download link:
Out of Step Music Hour Episode 42
Here's the playlist:
1. Dax Riggs~Didn't Know Yet What I'd Know When I Was Bleedin'~We Sing Of Only Blood Or Love
2. Bosnian Rainbows~Dig Right In Me~Bosnian Rainbows
3. The Evens~Architects Sleep~The Odds
4. Boris~Track 5~Vein
5. Tess Brunet~Wasted Waiting~Au Ras Au Ras
6. The Beatles~Lady Madonna~Mono Masters Vol. 2
7. Ramesses~Master Your Demons~We Will Lead You To Glorious Times
8. Empire~New Emotion~Expensive Sound
9. Rainer Maria~Ears Ring~Long Knives Drawn
10. Acid Bath~Venus Blue~Paegan Terrorism Tactics
11. Mark Of Cain~Heart Of Stone~Songs Of The Third & Fifth
12. Black Sabbath~Snowblind~Vol. 4
13. H2O~Heart On My Sleeve~Nothing To Prove
14. Bratmobile~Cryin' Tryin' Lyin'~Girls Get Busy
15. Agents Of Oblivion~Dead Girl~Agents Of Oblivion
16. Ramones~She's The One~Road To Ruin
17. The Mallard~Shallows~Yes On Blood
18. The Clash~Hateful~London Calling
19. Against Me!~Baby, I'm An Anarchist~Against Me! Is Reinventing Axl Rose
20. Deadboy & The Elephantmen~How Long The Night Was~We Are Night Sky
21. Gaslight Anthem~Antonia Jane~Singles Box Set
22. The Damned~1 of the 2~Damned Damned Damned
23. Le Butcherettes~I'm Getting Sick Of You~NPR Session
24. Lemuria~Ruby~The Distance Is So Big
25. Dax Riggs~No One Will Be A Stranger~Say Goodnight To The World