Greetings Dear Listener,
Hopefully you will come out of this weekend of independence with your thumbs intact. To celebrate this strange country of ours we'll listen to Pete Seeger and Anti-Flag sing songs about Joe Hill.
After months of trying to track them down, I finally saw Zeitgeist the other night. They opened for Jello Biafra's new band along with Submachine. Both bands played to the stunning apathy that only a Pittsburgh audience can provide. And people wonder why there isn't a much larger scene in this town with more all-ages shows.
Zeitgeist tore it up. The band was incredibly tight and the singer, Tilley, was an absolute monster on stage. I am very curious to see how she would attack a real crowd. Go to their bandcamp page for downloads and check Mind Cure for the self-titled vinyl and single.
Speaking of Mind Cure, Mike will be hosting an event for the single of the month box set at the Pittsburgh Filmmakers Melwood Screening Room on July 5th at 7pm. He'll be screening all twelve videos that were filmed to coincide with each of the twelve singles that came out in the series. To cap off the evening, The Gotobeds will be playing at Gooski's at 10pm.
And in more Mind Cure news, the Battered Citizens' Police Brutality demo has been reissued and pressed on vinyl. Battered Citizens was a late 80s band from Pittsburgh. Members of the band went on to play in Submachine and Killer Of Sheep. The record comes with a download that includes two shows from the Electric Banana.
There is a kids summer camp called Girls Rock! Pittsburgh. It's a week long camp where girls learn how to write/record a song and play in a band. At the end of the week there is a showcase where all of the bands play. Not only do the campers learn about music but there are also Women's History classes and seminars dealing with body image and discrimination. The first session was last week but there is a second session in August. Go here for more information.
Ice-T's band Body Count put out a new record called Manslaughter. I'm not sure if the world was looking for a new Body Count record but by golly it sure is entertaining.
Cartoon Network's Adult Swim has been putting out a steady amount of compilations for free download. They also have a summer singles club. This year it's sixteen bands over sixteen weeks. Sleep is slated to be the single for week seven. Go here to check it out.
Le Butcherettes will be releasing Cry Is For The Flies on vinyl in September. Ipecac will be handling the release.
Teri Gender Bender and Omar Rodriguez are apparently in yet another band and this time it's with John Frusciante. Kimono Kult put out an EP back in March called Hiding In The Light. Teri's singing in Spanish. It is four tracks of awesome and it's available to download on bandcamp.
Greg Ginn's new version of Black Flag played in town last week. I gave a passing thought to going to the show. I'm glad I forgot about it until the day after. Something tells me it would have been a let down. That and the fact that I don't want to give the Ginn any more of my money.
Thanks for listening.
Rock over London. Rock on Chicago.
Here's the download link:
Out of Step Music Hour Episode 69
Here's the playlist:
1. The Clash~Hateful~London Calling (Sound System)
2. Fuzz~You Won't See Me~Live In San Francisco
3. Thin Lizzy~Ray-Gun~Thin Lizzy
4. Helmet~Wilma's Rainbow~Betty
6. Bob Mould~Fix It~Beauty & Ruin
7. John Lee Hooker~Shake It Baby~It Serves You Right To Suffer
8. Thee Oh Sees~Devil Again~Garage Swim
9. Ben Folds Five~Underground~Ben Folds Five
10. Killer Of Sheep~Clouds~Out Of Time
11. Anti-Flag~1915~The General Strike
12. Ramones~California Sun~It's Alive
13. David Bowie~Quicksand~Hunky Dory
14. The Rezillos~Flying Saucer Attack~Can't Stand The Rezillos
15. Pete Seeger~Joe Hill~If I Had A Hammer: Songs Of Hope & Struggle
16. Articles Of Faith~Every Man For Himself~Complete, Vol. 1: 1981-1983
17. True Widow~NH~As High As The Highest Heavens & From The Center To The Circumference Of The Earth
18. Refused~Liberation Frequency~The Shape Of Punk To Come
19. Tinariwen~Sendad Eghlalan~Emmaar
20. Dead Ending~All The Villains You Call Boss~DE III
21. Buzzcocks~Time's Up~Time's Up
22. One Last Wish~Hide~1986
23. Miles Davis~Move~Birth Of The Cool
25. Roky Erickson~The Damn Thing~Don't Slander Me